This week, the workout is designed to strengthen your upper body!
Muscle-strengthening activities are an important part of any movement routine. They can contribute to your weekly physical activity goals while also helping you feel stronger and make everyday life a little bit easier. The weekly workouts are designed to be short and modifiable so you can tailor them to your activity level and goals. Check out our Holiday Challenge Workout Reminders for more information and tips to guide you through these workouts.
Week #6: Lower Body
- Rest 15 seconds after completing each movement before starting the next one.
- Aim to complete each movement 3 times. You can complete all 3 sets for one movement before switching to the next, or complete 1 set of each and then repeat all 5.
Sumo Squat – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Start by bringing your legs a little bit outside of hip width and pointing the toes out. Push your hips back and down and bend at the knees to lower into a seated position. Pause for 1 second, then slowly return to the starting position.
Single-Leg Deadlift – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Find balance on one leg, using a waist-high surface or wall for support if needed. Hinge at the hips to lower your chest towards the floor and extend your leg behind you. Slowly return to the starting position. Alternate legs after each repetition, or complete 8 repetitions on each.
Side Lunge – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Pause for 1 second at your full range of motion before returning to the starting position. Alternate legs after each repetition, or complete 8 repetitions on each.
Calf Raise – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Modification: Perform from a seated position. Really think about squeezing your calf muscles.
- Challenge: Perform single-leg calf raises.
Pause Marches – 16 repetitions
- Stand with a tall posture and engage your core. Slowly bring one knee up to hip height (or whatever your full range of motion allows), pause and hold for 5-10 seconds, then lower back to your starting position. Alternate between your right and left legs.
- Modification: Complete from a seated position or use a waist-high surface or wall for support.
- Challenge: Hold your arms straight overhead while you complete these repetitions.