This week, the workout is designed to strengthen your whole body!
Muscle-strengthening activities are an important part of any movement routine. They can contribute to your weekly physical activity goals while also helping you feel stronger and making everyday life a little bit easier. The weekly workouts are designed to be short and modifiable so you can tailor them to your activity level and goals. Check out our Holiday Challenge Workout Reminders for more information and tips to guide you through these workouts.
Week #4: Total Body
- Rest 15 seconds after completing each movement before starting the next one.
- Aim to complete each movement 3 times. You can complete all 3 sets for one movement before switching to the next, or complete 1 set of each and then repeat all 5.
Push-Ups – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Modification: Try this exercise on your knees or try placing your hands on a stable chair, waist-high surface, or on the wall.
- Challenge: Try holding for 1-2 seconds at the bottom of the movement, or perform a tricep push-up. You could also add a single-leg raise or stagger your hands.
Chair Squat – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Modification: Hold onto another stable object or surface for support. Use your upper body to help support you as you return to standing.
- Challenge: Perform on a stable surface that is a lower height to increase the depth of your squat. Lower into the squat for a 4 second count and return to standing for a 4 second count.
Side Lunge – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Modification: Hold onto another stable object or surface for support.
- Challenge: Pause for 2 seconds at the bottom of the movement before returning to your starting position. Try adding weight.
Arm Pull Series – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Imagine you are holding a rope in your hands that you are trying to pull apart in different ways for this series.
- Challenge: If you have a resistance band, you can use it for an added challenge.
Russian Twists – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Modification: Try trunk rotations either standing or in a chair. Extend your arms straight out in front of you if possible.
- Challenge: Lift and hold your feet off the ground while performing this movement. Try holding a weight in your hands.