This week, the workout is designed to strengthen your core with seated movements!
Muscle-strengthening activities are an important part of any movement routine. They can contribute to your weekly physical activity goals while also helping you feel stronger and making everyday life a little bit easier. The weekly workouts are designed to be short and modifiable so you can tailor them to your activity level and goals. Check out our Holiday Challenge Workout Reminders for more information and tips to guide you through these workouts.
Week #2: Seated Core Circuit
- Rest 10 to 15 seconds after completing a movement before starting the next one.
- You can complete this circuit 2 – 4 times for a longer core workout or complete it once a few times throughout the day for extra core work.
- Maintain a tall, seated posture with shoulders back and a straight spine while completing these movements. Think about drawing your belly button to your spine to engage your abdominal muscles.
Upper Body Leans – 30 to 45 seconds
- Sit at the front of your chair. Engage your core and slowly lean back, keeping your upper body in a straight line. Pause for 1 second, then slowly return to the starting position.
Side Body Reach Downs – 30 to 45 seconds
- Begin in your normal, seated position with arms extended by your sides. Engage your core and slowly bend to one side, moving your hand straight down towards the floor. Slowly return to the starting position. Alternate between your right and left side.
Heel to Toe Taps – 30 to 45 seconds
- Sit at the front of your chair. Engage your core and extend your legs so that your heels are on the floor. Bend at your knees and draw your feet towards the chair, finishing with your feet close to the chair and toes on the floor. Extend your legs back to the extended position with heels on the floor.
- Modification: Complete the movement on one leg at a time. The other leg can remain in a standard bent position as if you were sitting normally.
Seated Twist – 30 to 45 seconds
- From a normal, seated position, extend your arms in front of you at shoulder height with palms together. Engage your core and slowly rotate your arms and torso to one side. Slowly return to the starting position. Alternate between your right and left side.
Leg Raises – 30 to 45 seconds
- Sit at the front of your chair. Engage your core and extend your legs so that your heels are on the floor. Raise your legs to hip level (or whatever your full range of motion allows), then slowly lower them back to the floor.
- Modification: Complete the movement one leg at a time and/or with your legs bent at the knees.