Making fresh popcorn on your stovetop is delicious and surprisingly simple! All you need is a large pan or pot with a lid and some popcorn kernels. Homemade popcorn makes a great snack and can be made in advance to have on hand for later.
Flavor your popcorn to your liking – some of our favorite flavor combinations include:
- paprika, black pepper, and salt
- oregano, thyme, parsley, black pepper, and salt
- shredded parmesan and black pepper
- cinnamon and nutmeg
Pop, season and enjoy!
Simple and Healthy Stovetop Popcorn
- Serves 4
- Serving Size: about 1 cup
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons popcorn kernels – about enough to cover the bottom of your sauce pot with one layer of kernels. (Note – Popping kernels grow a lot during cooking, more than you’d expect, so if you’re in doubt of whether you’ll have enough room in your pot or pan for all the popped corn, start with fewer kernels.)
- Herbs and spices to taste
- Put a medium sauce pot on high heat. Coat the bottom of the pot with a thin layer of oil. Add three popcorn kernels and put a lid on the pot.
- Once one or more of the kernels has popped, cover the bottom of the pot with a single layer of the remaining popcorn kernels and replace the lid.
- Gently shake the pot over the heat source to prevent the kernels from burning. Continue shaking until most kernels have popped.
- Turn off the heat and continue to shake for a few seconds to pop any final kernels.
- To season popcorn, choose your preferred flavor combination (see suggestions above). To help herbs and spices stick, drizzle 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil over the popcorn, toss, season, and then toss again. (Med Tip: Season your popcorn while it’s still warm so it will better absorb oil and spices.)
Nutrition Information per Serving (using 1/4 teaspoon of both salt and black pepper):
- Serving size – about 1 cup of popcorn
- Vegetable – 0 cups
- Fruit – 0 cups
- Calories – 131
- Carbohydrates – 5 grams
- Fiber – 1 gram
- Protein – 1 gram
- Fat – 12 grams
- Sodium – 156 mg