The holiday season is a very busy time of the year. With different holidays, travel, work deadlines, and shorter days, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed. But are you focusing on your health and wellness through it all? Think about a few ways you could help yourself feel more positive, relaxed, and energized (the list goes on…) over the next 7 weeks. Maybe it’s outdoor walking or meal prepping healthy snacks or taking dance breaks at work or journaling every morning or whatever action empowers you.
Wellness describes the “active pursuit of activities, choices, and lifestyles that lead to holistic health.”1 This encompasses physical, emotional, mental, and social well-being, among others. What action(s) can you take to improve your wellness in one or more aspects? Here are some ideas.
- Movement – Movement can look however you want it to! Find joy in moving your body whether it’s through walking, dancing, strength training, swimming, or any other activity.
- Journaling – In a physical journal or on your phone, write down your thoughts. Write a few things you are looking forward to or grateful for each day. Write a letter to your past or future self.
- Meditation – Take time to observe your body and your mind. Start with short, guided meditations and build up. Sleep meditations can be an effective way to unwind and drift off at night.
- Nourishment Nutrition – Focus on eating a well-balanced diet and eating in a way that lets you feel satisfied and energized. Instead of restricting your food, set healthy boundaries between yourself and your food.
- Screen Time Breaks – Set aside screens for a certain time each day or have a screen-free morning or day each week. Consider taking a break from social media.
- Get Outside – Spend some time outside every day when it’s safe to do so. Whether you sit for a few minutes or go for a short walk, getting some natural light and fresh air can be a refreshing part of your day.
To start, decide on one action you want to add to your routine. Frame this as a SMART goal–one that is specific, measurable, actionable, realistic, and timely. Check out this blog for more info and examples. Next, write down your SMART goal! Write it on sticky notes and put them in places you’ll see them like your bathroom, microwave, car, etc. Set reminders on your phone to help. Tell a family member or friend and ask them to cheer you on.
Most importantly, remember your why as you tackle this holiday season. Why did you set the goal that you set? How is it helping your physical, emotional, mental, or social wellness? Go back to your why when you need extra motivation.
- What is Wellness? Global Wellness Institute. Accessed March 15, 2023. https://globalwellnessinstitute.org/what-is-wellness/
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now